Thursday, April 19, 2012

Steampunk Fairy Matchbox Shrine

My final matchbox shrine, at least for now, wasn't for my swap but just because I fancied doing it (it was another theme on another swap). So, I made an illuminated steampunk fairy matchbox shrine (as you do).

I cut the basic frame with a Sizzix die and used Tim Holtz embossing folders for texture. Cue lots of inking and gold paint (some of which is now on my ceiling!) to cover the frame and the inside of the matchbox. At the back of the inside of the box I put a fairy hologram (culled from an old and worn out children's book) which I coloured first with alcohol inks. I filled the inside with various bits - little filled glass vials, ideology bits, watch face etc. Added loads of ideology bits, old watch parts, spare sewing machine bulb and metal flower and fairy embellishments all over the outside.

There is also a small light with a switch underneath that lights up the inside of the box. Although it's been too tricky to photograph it does look really good at night.

Sounds simple enough, but there's been a lot of trial and error on this one, and a lot of matchboxes have been sacrificed!

The front of the shrine and you can see the fairy hologram. It's not this vivid in normal light but it's hard to photograph so it needed lots of extra light. Who said fairies should be easy to photograph anyway!


I love how you don't always see the hologram - this is in dull daylight.


The back of the shrine.


And the sides.



I entered this in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp and Show (Anything Goes)

Frilly and Funkie (Upcycled matchbox and old children's book)

Gingersnap Creations (Copper, ginger, rust)


Thanks for looking.

20 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Stunning matchbox shrine, love love the texture and both the front and back have been embellished beautifully. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challemge. Tracy x

Ali said...

Wow! That is INCRREDIBLE! So much work and detail... and it lights up too?! You're a genius.

Wish to goodness I'd been allocated you to receive from in the screen swap. *sigh*

Ali

Ali said...

Oooh I forgot to say.. d'you mind if I pin this for future inspiration? :)

Ali

Yolanda said...

Wow Rebecca that is absolutely stunning

Karen said...

It is fantastic and I am sitting here with a little smile :) :) and I know the recipient will love it :D

Weasel said...

Stunning lovey, just stunning xx

Teresa Kline said...

so cool, luv the details!

enjoy *~*

Candy C said...

Your steampunk matchbox shrine is amazing! SOOO much detail. You did an awesome job on this! Thanks for sharing it with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Anonymous said...

Fantastic work Rebecca ! The texture that you've created and all of the detail is stunning. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

Norma Gomez said...

Ok seriously.....this is AWESOME!!

Katy said...

Wow! This is just wow!! Love it!

vixen said...

Wow your matchbox is stunning so much detail, lovely piece of work :)

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Oh my, oh my! This is just crazy wonderful! Super cool design and so many wonderful embellishments. I love your fairy hologram and how you can't always see it. What a sensational piece of upcycling and a wonderful inspiration for me. So happy you joined in the fun with us this week at Frilly and Funkie!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning piece! Love it! Great elements and awesome details!

Thanks for playing the 4th Annual Copper, Ginger or Rust Challenge at Gingersnap Creations! Don't forget to come back and vote for your favorite entry once the challenge closes!

Claire said...

This is really amazing, love it.
C xx

Unknown said...

A lot of work and such detailed elements in this creation...amazing...♥

Monique's art said...

wow this is so awesome, love it a lot

Anonymous said...

Stunning.
Matchboxes are the most wonderful items to alter.
Great detail.
Wishes
Lynne

Jane said...

This is so gorgeous, and it lights up too! I love the way the hologram hides then jumps out depending on the light.

Jane x

Candy C said...

What a cool shrine! I had to come comment on it again! :) You did an amazing job on this! I love all of the texture and pieces you've used on this piece. Great attention to detail! I also would like to thank you for the very nice comment you left on my blog about my wind up toy box. You totally made my day...and it's only the morning! Thank you! <3 Candy